The primary PE and sport premium were introduced in March 2013 to improve the provision of physical education and school sport in primary schools across England. The Government is providing funding of £150 million per annum to provide new, substantial primary school sport funding’.
This funding is being jointly provided by the Departments for Education, Health and Culture, Media and Sport, and will see money going directly to primary school head teachers to spend on improving the quality of sport and PE for all their children. The funding must be used to make additional and sustainable improvements to the quality of physical education (PE), physical activity and sport that is offered in school.
Schools can use the premium to secure improvements in the following indicators:
- The engagement of all pupils in regular physical activity
- The profile of PE and sport is raised across the school as a tool for whole-school improvement
- Increased confidence, knowledge and skills of all staff in teaching PE and sport
- Broader experience of a range of sports and activities offered to all pupils
- Increased participation in competitive sport